Theplas are an inherent part of gujarati meals, and are used for regular meals, travelling and for picnics! eaten with curds and chunda, theplas can be enjoyed hot or otherwise. Sometimes whole jeera or til can be added to enhance the flavour of theplas. You can even add other ingredients like methi and Doodhi to this recipe, to add more variety to your menu. Here I am going to tell you a whole new recipe for Thepla which has a twist of different flavors in it.
1: Two cups whole wheat Flour
2: one tbsp oil
3: 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
4: one tbsp chilli powder
5: 1/4 tbsp Garam masala powder
6: 1/4 tbsp jeera pwder
7: one small onion finely chopped
8: half grated carrot
9: Two finely cut green chili
10: Chopped Spring onions leaves
11: Chopped Coriander leaves
12: Lemon juice 1 tbsp
13: Sugar and salt
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned above in a bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water as shown in the above picture.
- Knead the dough well using a little oil.
3. Cover with a clean wet cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into equal portions and roll out each portion into a 125 mm. (5″) diameter circle using whole wheat flour for rolling.
5. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each circle, using a little oil.
6. Cook till it turns golden brown in colour from both sides as shown in the picture below.
7. Serve hot with potato veg gravy or Chutneys whichever way you like.